Based in the region, the Analyst will research and produce policy reports on conflict-related issues, including security and governance, in Somalia and the region.
- Conducts extensive field research in Somalia;
- Provides written analyses on the key political, military, security and governance issues;
- Prepares detailed reports, briefing papers and other written products (op-eds, commentaries, short notes) setting out relevant research findings and policy recommendations in concise and clear fashion;
- Proposes policy initiatives for governmental, intergovernmental, political, and non-governmental stakeholders to address the underlying issues;
- Advocates -- locally, nationally and internationally, as appropriate -- and represents Crisis Group at events and meetings and in the media;
- Provides general support to the Project and/or Program Director for Crisis Group activities and projects in Somalia and the region;
- If required supervises consultants and/or stringers.
Candidates who are interested in this role should apply before September 17, 2017.
- At minimum an M.A. degree in international relations, political science, journalism, sociology or equivalent through experience;
- Three years professional experience in government, academia, international organisations, NGOs or journalism;
- Proven excellent writing skills and the ability to formulate well-targeted policy recommendations;
- Strong research and analytical skills and ability to propose policy interventions;
- Extensive knowledge of the region’s key issues;
- A proven strong network of governmental and non-governmental officials, media and civil society in the country and region;
- Experience in political analysis and conflict prevention; Fluency in English; strong knowledge of Somali/and or Arabic an advantage ;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including good public presentation skills, and a very strong capacity for effective teamwork;
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.