Central Africa Project Volunteer
The International Crisis Group's Central Africa Project is looking for a full-time voluntary intern to assist its project director and analysts in their daily activities. This is a desk-based position that requires a natural flair for political conflict analysis, flexibility, intelligence and hard work, and offers an excellent opportunity for someone to learn about conflict analysis and advocacy work and gain valuable experience in a high profile international NGO. The voluntary internship would suit a bilingual French/English candidate with a recent undergraduate or graduate degree in international relations, political science or related fields, seeking to gain experience in a fast-paced, international NGO working to prevent war and shape peace worldwide. We are looking for someone to start in mid-August and will be based in the in the organisation's Nairobi office.
- Monitoring political developments in the Central Africa region via online sources;
- Providing assistance editing reports and briefings on conflict issues, and other documents produced by Africa program staff;
- Preparing advocacy and research materials and attending meetings with/on behalf of the Crisis Group staff;
- Assisting with carrying out daily press reviews and composing weekly situation reports; and
- Other administrative tasks, including arranging meetings and database management.
- Excellent command in French and English writing and editing skills;
- Fluency in French is a prerequisite; knowledge of local language(s) is an added advantage;
- Excellent research and organizational skills;
- Excellent ability to summarise information;
- Proven research skills in international relations or a similar subject, conflict analysis or human rights work;
- An ability to deal confidently and swiftly with a variety of demanding tasks; and
- Proven interest in and knowledge of the Central Africa region.
If interested, please apply by 30 June 2017.