Voluntary Intern, Northeast Asia
Crisis Group is seeking a volunteer in its Northeast Asia Office in Hong Kong. Opportunities generally last 3 – 6 months, full- or part time, and will provide you with a rewarding, hands-on experience. You will work as a full member of our small northeast Asia team in Hong Kong.
- Undertake research employing Chinese and international sources, and draft background materials on the role of China in international relations and global security issues;
- Contribute to preparing Crisis Group reports and other writing for publication by gathering information, fact-checking, and drafting material;
- Provide support for Crisis Group research, communications, media relations, social media, advocacy, and stakeholder engagement;
- Attend meetings and briefings with government officials, diplomats, international organisations, academic institutes, media, think-tanks, and NGOs, on request;
- Provide limited administrative assistance to Crisis Group staff.
- Undergraduate degree in international relations, political science, conflict studies, public policy, or Asia studies, with a preference for those with a postgraduate degree;
- Available for at least 3 months;
- Excellent oral and written command of English;
- Native or full professional proficiency in Mandarin Chinese, with the ability to quickly and accurately conduct Chinese-language research (a language assessment will be required);
- Knowledge of other relevant languages (Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Russian) is helpful;
- Proven research skills in political analysis and/or international relations;
- Good understanding of Chinese foreign policy, particularly relating to areas of conflict or tension in the region and around the world;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office, social media, email and internet applications;
- Highly motivated, flexible, reliable, organised and detail-oriented, with the ability to work in a fast-paced and often demanding environment;
- Previous experience living in China preferred.