The International Crisis Group's Horn of Africa Project is looking for an intern to volunteer in the organisation's Nairobi office for a suggested period of six months from 1 November 2018. This is a desk-based position that requires a natural flair for political analysis, flexibility, intelligence and hard work, but offers an excellent opportunity for someone to learn about conflict analysis and advocacy work and gain valuable experience in a high profile international NGO.
· Monitoring political developments in the Horn of Africa region via online sources;
· Providing assistance editing reports and briefings on conflict issues, and other documents produced by Africa program staff;
· Preparing advocacy and research materials and attending meetings with/on behalf of the Crisis Group staff;
· Assisting with carrying out daily press reviews and composing weekly situation reports;
· Administrative tasks, including arranging for meetings and database management; and
· Assisting Africa program staff with everyday office needs.
A recent graduate degree in political science, conflict studies, international relations, or similar;
Excellent English writing and editing skills;
An ability to deal confidently and swiftly with a variety of demanding tasks;
Proven research skills in international relations or a similar subject, conflict analysis or human rights work;
Knowledge of local language(s) is an added advantage.
Please apply no later than CET midnight 21 October 2018.