Communications Volunteer Intern, Africa
The International Crisis Group is currently seeking a Communications Volunteer Intern in Nairobi to support the Senior Communications Officer, Africa. The voluntary internship is designed for 6 months, beginning in September or October 2020. The voluntary internship would suit a candidate with a recent post-graduate degree in journalism, media, communications, international relations, conflict prevention or similar. Knowledge of political science, international relations and African conflict issues is an asset.
- Help draft Communications plans for the Africa Program;
- Monitor media on topics relevant to Crisis Group’s work;
- Draft various types of output, such as op-eds, Twitter threads, media advisories;
- Liaise with strategic international and local media; organise interviews;
- Maintain the Crisis Group database of media contacts;
- Perform other administrative duties as required.
- English speaker with a good command of French;
- Enrolled in or recently completed a postgraduate degree in journalism, communications, internal relations, conflict prevention or similar, or have relevant experience in communications;
- Good, clear writing skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Detail-oriented, self-starting, resourceful, adaptable and team-oriented;
- Proven interest in and knowledge of the political and security situation in Africa;
- Experience in a professional office setting is a plus.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews conducted on a rolling basis.