Deputy Program Director, MENA
Reporting to the Program Director and based in the MENA region, the role provides an exciting opportunity to help shape Crisis Group’s work across the MENA region. This involves assisting the Director design and deliver the Program’s publications and other work aimed at mitigating, preventing and resolving deadly conflict in the region. The Deputy has a particular responsibility to support the Program Director in working with the experts across the Program to ensure that its draft reports and other written work meet a high standard in terms of quality of research, writing and policy recommendations. S/he will work closely with the Director to manage and support field staff in their research, analysis, development of policy ideas and advocacy activities. S/he will support the Program in developing and maintaining a network of contacts with conflict parties, conflict resolution actors and other stakeholders in the region, and promote Crisis Group policy recommendations with them as well as in the media and further afield when appropriate. The Deputy may also undertake research and draft stand-alone written work as required.
- Support the Program Director in his/her supervisory responsibilities, including motivating and supporting Program staff in their field research and advocacy;
- Assist with the Program’s corporate governance, including leading in the drafting of the Program’s annual work-plan, annual reports and other corporate publications;
- Work with Project Directors and field-based analysts, in consultation with Program Director, to ensure Crisis Group standards in terms of policy coherence and consistency, persuasiveness in policy recommendations, and quality in English;
- Develop and maintain a contacts database for the Program of conflict actors and other stakeholders in the region;
- Contribute to advocacy of Program policy positions by networking with contacts in the region as well as in the media and further afield where appropriate;
- Contribute to the quality of Program work by following relevant international developments in conflict and sharing this information and analysis;
- Support fundraising efforts with targeted government and other donors, with the assistance of the Development team;
- Assume the responsibilities of the Program Director in his/her absence;
- Undertake research and draft stand-alone written work as required;
- Undertake other Program management, support, and advocacy tasks as required.
Candidates should apply before October 1, 2020.
- Post-graduate qualification in international relations, political science, social sciences, journalism, or equivalent through experience;
- 10 or more years of professional experience working in the field of conflict research, analysis and prevention - in government, academia, international organisations, non-governmental organisations or the media;
- High quality editing skills and a track record of editing experience in English;
- Native-level fluency in English (oral and written); proficiency in one or more languages of the MENA region preferred;
- Extensive knowledge of the region’s security and public policy issues, and experience of living and working in the region;
- A network of governmental and non-governmental, official, media and civil society contacts in the region;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including public presentation skills;
- Strong research and analytical skills, and proven experience of formulating persuasive policy recommendations;
- Experience in a supervisory role including staff management, and overseeing budgetary and administrative matters;
- Experience of working successfully within a team as well as the ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.