Volunteer Intern, Central Africa
The International Crisis Group's Central Africa Project is looking for a voluntary intern to assist its Project Director, Deputy Project Director and Analysts in their daily activities. This is a desk-based position that requires a natural flair for political conflict analysis, flexibility, intelligence and hard work, and offers an excellent opportunity for someone to learn about conflict analysis and advocacy work and gain valuable experience in a high-profile international NGO. The voluntary internship would suit a bilingual French/English candidate with a recent undergraduate or graduate degree in international relations, political science or related fields, seeking to gain experience in a fast-paced, international NGO working to prevent war and shape peace worldwide. We are looking for someone to start in March 2021 for six months, who will be home-based at first and once Covid-19 measures permit it, at the organisation's Nairobi office.
- Monitoring political developments in the Central Africa region via online sources, with a specific focus on the Great Lakes;
- Providing assistance to editing reports and briefings on conflict issues, and other documents produced by Africa program staff;
- Preparing advocacy and research materials and attending meetings with/on behalf of the Crisis Group staff;
- Assisting with carrying out weekly press reviews and composing monthly situation reports; and
- Other research and administrative tasks as required
- Good verbal and written command of French and English; knowledge of local language(s) is an added advantage;
- Good research and organisational skills;
- Ability to summarise information;
- Proven research skills in international relations or a similar subject, conflict analysis or human rights work;
- An ability to deal confidently and swiftly with a variety of demanding tasks;
- Proven interest in and knowledge of the Central Africa region.
If interested, please apply by 31 January 2021.