Volunteer Intern, Latin America Research
Crisis Group is looking for a part-time intern to assist the Economics of Conflict and Latin America programs. The intern is expected to provide research assistance, mainly from Crisis Group’s New York office, on several ongoing projects related to political and criminal violence in Latin America. This voluntary internship position would start as soon as possible for a minimum of three months. The intern will be expected to conduct a variety of research activities, including:
- Assisting in building datasets for quantitative analysis;
- Coding the characteristics and location of non-state armed actors based on media reports;
- Collecting social media information and classifying the tweets of political figures;
- Writing literature reviews and preparing briefs on specific political or criminal actors;
- Conducting basic data analysis tasks.
The position is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable research experience and learn about pressing conflicts in Latin America while working in a high-profile international NGO. It is particularly well-suited to those with quantitative expertise interested in pursuing a PhD in political science or a related field.
- Advanced undergraduate or postgraduate work in political science or a related field;
- Working proficiency in English and Spanish (fluency is a plus);
- Good research and note taking skills;
- Computer skills, and particularly a strong command of Excel;
- Self-motivation and flexibility;
- Availability to work 10-20 hours per week for a period of at least three months;
- Authorization to work in the United States
Some knowledge of computational statistics (such as R, Python, or Stata) is a plus, but not required.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and will continue until the position is filled.